Local Election 2010
Simon Paul Steward
West Heywood Ward
I am appealing to save our local school, Heywood Community School, from closure. I have a very personal motivation for this crusade –my 2 young daughters would attend the school. I know how deeply dismayed many parents are with the decision.
Over recent years this school has gone from a failing school to one with massive success rates. It seems absolutely absurd that this school is facing the threat of closure when it has been doing so well.
I feel it is vital to speak out as Labour councillors here are doing nothing about this injustice.
Simon’s priorities for Heywood are:
- To ensure that local councillors are able to have a say on where grit boxes are positioned, to make sure that they are full and secure, and that the roads and pavements are treated urgently when appropriate. This plan must be in place before summer
- To ensure that Heywood gets a fair share of the extra funding for our highways, and that work is progressed as soon as possible to remove the dreaded potholes
- Working with local businesses to encourage people to use our local shops and businesses
- More police on the streets and longer opening hours at Heywood police station
- Addressing all aspects of anti-social behaviour and continue to help local residents get alley gates where desired
- Protecting our rural areas from off-road biking
- Reduce the amount of speeding traffic and to find solutions to congestion problems in Heywood
- Improving Heywood’s public transport, and fighting to keep our local bus services
- Securing more funds for Heywood priorities and for local residents to decide where that money is spent
- To be always on call to deal with local issues and problems