Thunderstorms forecast for Friday
Date published: 24 June 2020
Photo: Chloé Hoyle
Lightning at Crown Oil Arena, 16 June 2020
Heavy showers and thunderstorms have been forecast across the majority of the UK on Friday (26 June), with the Met Office issuing a yellow warning for storms.
Heavy showers and thunderstorms are likely to break out on Friday afternoon and evening. Many places will miss the storms, but where they do occur, torrential downpours could bring 30-50mm rain in an hour, with hail and lightning.
The storms will slowly clear northeastwards on Friday night.
The weather warning is in place from 12 noon on Friday until 9am on Saturday.
What to expect
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds
- Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to train and bus services
- Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- There is a small chance that some communities become cut off by flooded roads
- There is a slight chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Here’s where you can Eat Out to Help Out: the venues offering the government’s 50% discount deal
- 2Coronavirus: Greater Manchester declares major incident
- 3New temporary testing units to open in Rochdale town centre and Littleborough
- 420-year-old Rochdale man charged with drug and driving offences after police 'witness drug deal'
- 5Facemask advice if you wear glasses or hearing aids