Collapse of Stanney Brook culvert causes localised flooding
Date published: 24 February 2020
Flooding from Stanney Brook culvert
A collapsed culvert on Woodland View in Rochdale has collapsed even further, flooding at least two homes.
Stanney Brook culvert first collapsed following Storm Ciara earlier this month, and has continued to collapse, causing the culvert to to become blocked.
As of 2pm, the blockage in the culvert has now gone and water levels in the culvert have reduced.
Staff from Rochdale Borough Council and the Environment Agency remain on site to continue mitigating the risks.
A local resident told Rochdale Online that at least two homes have been flooded following the culvert’s collapse on Sunday (23 February).
Speaking on Monday morning (24 February), an Environment Agency spokesperson said: “Stanney Brook culvert is not an Environment Agency owned asset, but our officers are out on site supporting the local authority to protect properties in accordance with the multi-agency contingency plan.
“We understand that some properties have been flooded and we have officers on the ground assessing the extent of the flooding and taking action to reduce any further impacts. Robust plans are in place to ensure any risks posed by the culvert are mitigated against.
“We are working with Rochdale Brough Council and other partners to further minimise impacts. Our priority is the safety of the community.
“Once we are confident that the culvert is deemed safe, there will be an investigation into the cause of the collapse and potential solutions.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.