Local Election 2008
North Heywood Ward
2 Stanley Street
I am the Chairman of the Heywood Business Group and a Resident Director of New Deal. I previously had a popular stall on Heywood Market and now run a successful catering business from my Heywood home.
Two years ago the Liberal Democrats celebrated a breakthrough in the monopoly that Labour had in Heywood. This has led to an alternative voice for our Town and led to huge improvements across Heywood. Since popular Councillor Peter Rush was elected, followed by Doreen Brophy-Lee, things have started moving in Heywood.
Since the Liberal Democrats took control of the Council we have devolved more power down to the people of Heywood than the old Town Council had when it was abolished in 1974.
I joined the Liberal Democrats because I’m passionate about Heywood and see the Liberal Democrats as the only party with a fresh outlook and positive energy to move our Town forward.
It’s vital that we have a strong alternative voice in Heywood. Just look at the difference a few Lib Dem Councillors have made! Peter and Doreen keep in touch all year round and it’s been a pleasure to be part of the team. This year we have put the issues close to the heart of the people of Heywood FIRST. We will continue to listen, communicate and keep in touch with the people of Heywood. After all – that’s our job.
Look at this year’s achievements:
- We’ve doubled spending for our Townships.
- We’re putting extra police on the streets of Heywood.
- We’ve secured the money to extend Heywood Cemetery.
- We’ve committed to cleaning every gully in Heywood – something Labour failed us on.
- We’ve launched our ‘Heywood ON Track” Campaign – to get our Railway Station connected to Castleton.
- We’ve dealt with over 500 individual cases – making a real difference to Heywood resident’s lives.
- We’ve presented over 1000 signatures to 10 Downing Street against Post Office cuts.
- We’ve campaigned to save services at Fairfield Hospital.
- Pegged Council Tax to its lowest level for a generation – action not words!
- Scrapped the charge for bulky waste.
- Committed to providing the extra places at the new Holy Family School in Heywood.
- Overseen huge improvement for Queens Park.