Holocaust Memorial Day Ceremony
Posted By: Ann Metcalfe
Date Posted: 27/01/2008
This afternoon I attended the Holocaust Memorial Ceremony at Littleborough. Following the re-dedication of the memorial stone in the Memorial Gardens we returned to complete the service in Littleborough Coach House.
David Arnold of the Jewish Representative Council for Greater Manchester and the Region gave us an insight of the dreadful and unforgivable events under the Nazi regime in Germany and Austria.
David's story was a first hand, personalised documented account of his grand parents and families life during the 1930/40s in Germany and described how they were persecuted. Fortunately his mother escaped as a young woman and found refuge in England.
Witnessing this account was extremely moving and certainly brought it home as how quickly these extreme organisations gather momentum and support through their distorted beliefs and propaganda.
It was summed up by David when he commented, 'There are no superior races. There is just one. That, is the human race'.
Throughout the service we enjoyed the voices of members from the Rochdale Choir and music by the Rochdale Youth Band. These youngsters and their families gave up their time to come along and be part of the service.
These young people are the positive proof of all the good things which we read or hear so little about in the media and their negotive perception of youth today.
Let's hope we have learnt our lessons from the past and really do put into practice what we preach that we
'Value a free, tolerant and democratic society'. Otherwise there is very little hope for the future.
More Entries By Ann Metcalfe
- 2012... Date posted: 30/12/2011
- So, how did you spend the Bank Holiday? Date posted: 31/05/2011
- Looking forward Date posted: 10/05/2011
- The best gift of all Date posted: 27/12/2010
- It really is the thought that counts.... Date posted: 04/12/2010
- What an eye opener! Date posted: 29/08/2010
- Preamble and The Three Owls. Date posted: 12/08/2009
- Good to be Back with you. Date posted: 19/10/2008
- A&E, Rochdale Infirmary - 101% Date posted: 09/02/2008
- Top marks to Rochdale A&E staff Date posted: 25/01/2008
- A Grand Day Out at last! Date posted: 13/01/2008
- Community spirit at Taylor Park Date posted: 04/11/2007
- Anyone got any good news? Date posted: 16/10/2007
- The Golden Mosque Date posted: 07/10/2007
- Well done Rochdale Rotarians Date posted: 09/09/2007
- Charity doesn't always begin at home Date posted: 05/09/2007
- Norden welcomes devolution Date posted: 31/08/2007
- The Kingsway Partnership Date posted: 07/07/2007
- Thank you Susan and Heywood Township Date posted: 23/05/2007
- An enjoyable visit Date posted: 22/05/2007
- Recycling and Alternate Weekly Collections Date posted: 18/05/2007
- Keeping 'IN TOUCH' Date posted: 12/05/2007
- Apologies Date posted: 09/05/2007
- Thank you Date posted: 04/05/2007
- The final round up Date posted: 02/05/2007
- These boots were made for walking Date posted: 26/04/2007
- Singing from the same hymn sheet! Date posted: 23/04/2007
- How often do we say 'Thank You?' Date posted: 17/04/2007
- This sudden awareness Date posted: 21/03/2007