A Grand Day Out at last!
Posted By: Ann Metcalfe
Date Posted: 13/01/2008
Well at long last may I wish everyone a rather belated Happy New Year.
It has taken me so long to sit down and write a few lines for my diary as I have been so fed up and depressed by the recent events, behaviours and comments from Council. There has been so much spin, negotive attitude, despondency and passing 'the buck' it has been pathetic to witness.
We all know only too well that the party in power should know how things are run, who is responsible and who is actually 'in charge'. They are after all THE COUNCIL.
Recent events have highlighted this not to be the case. It begs the question of why then are they still in power or in fact do 'they' actually have any power at all. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the residents of RMBC are loosing both respect and faith in this group.
Anyway enough negative thought and comments from me, let's move on to the Grand Day Out!
Today I had agreed to stand in for Ashley on a tour of the East Lancashire Railway. This was for Members and Officers from Rochdale, Rossendale and Bury.
Over the many years 'Uncle' Trevor Jones had kept us up to date with the workings of the East Lancashire Railway Preservation Society. Today it was wonderful to witness the tremendous success which has been achieved over all these years through the dedication, committment and hard work of the many volunteers and their families.
Following a visit to the signalling box where the system was fully explained we walked through the engine shed and saw the massive old engines being repaired and refurbished. Of course I just had to stop to admire Thomas the Tank engine too !! They were all superb.
As the train trundelled to Ramsbottom the guides pointed out interesting facts and answered questions. Burrs Country Park looked really well inspite of the rain and of course Ramsbottom and Rawtenstall have obviously benefitted tremendously from the East Lancs Railway. This route is well established and almost complete, next we entered virtually new territory which offers tremendous potential - Heywood.
There are serious plans being made to develop this site and encourage visitors to the town. From Heywood we were driven in the Society's old bus across to Castleton. This is going to be a wonderful assett to the area when the plans finally come to fruition.
I am sure that Rochdale RMBC, Councillors, Officers and residents will all wish to support the East Lancashire Railway Trust in their future expansion to their network which will surely prove to benefit our borough.
Thanks to all the team who gave us such an enjoyable day out, you have given me something good and positive to think about.
More Entries By Ann Metcalfe
- 2012... Date posted: 30/12/2011
- So, how did you spend the Bank Holiday? Date posted: 31/05/2011
- Looking forward Date posted: 10/05/2011
- The best gift of all Date posted: 27/12/2010
- It really is the thought that counts.... Date posted: 04/12/2010
- What an eye opener! Date posted: 29/08/2010
- Preamble and The Three Owls. Date posted: 12/08/2009
- Good to be Back with you. Date posted: 19/10/2008
- A&E, Rochdale Infirmary - 101% Date posted: 09/02/2008
- Holocaust Memorial Day Ceremony Date posted: 27/01/2008
- Top marks to Rochdale A&E staff Date posted: 25/01/2008
- Community spirit at Taylor Park Date posted: 04/11/2007
- Anyone got any good news? Date posted: 16/10/2007
- The Golden Mosque Date posted: 07/10/2007
- Well done Rochdale Rotarians Date posted: 09/09/2007
- Charity doesn't always begin at home Date posted: 05/09/2007
- Norden welcomes devolution Date posted: 31/08/2007
- The Kingsway Partnership Date posted: 07/07/2007
- Thank you Susan and Heywood Township Date posted: 23/05/2007
- An enjoyable visit Date posted: 22/05/2007
- Recycling and Alternate Weekly Collections Date posted: 18/05/2007
- Keeping 'IN TOUCH' Date posted: 12/05/2007
- Apologies Date posted: 09/05/2007
- Thank you Date posted: 04/05/2007
- The final round up Date posted: 02/05/2007
- These boots were made for walking Date posted: 26/04/2007
- Singing from the same hymn sheet! Date posted: 23/04/2007
- How often do we say 'Thank You?' Date posted: 17/04/2007
- This sudden awareness Date posted: 21/03/2007