Reopening Beds Pennine Acute
Posted By: Jean Ashworth
Date Posted: 29/12/2007
I really do wonder how the changes to the services at the Infirmary are going to work.
This is the worst time of the year for virusís and our little babies and children need inpatient hospital care as so do our elderly.
Just how are we going to stop them needing that care?
What magic wand have these people got in place?
These patients cannot be nursed at home nor can any community nurse look after them safely.
Every single day all of our hospitals in the Pennine Acute are closing to admissions due to staff shortage or lack of beds. No maternity beds, no special care baby beds due to being full.
Every single day our A & E departments are full and having to constantly go on divert.
How are these changes going to "Make it Better" - just how is it going to work?
They cut the beds on the Childrenís Unit at the Rochdale Infirmary last year from 24 to 18 yet every week we are taking over simply because the other hospitals canít cope either.
Yesterday staff recieved a memo from management stating:
28th December 2007
"As part of the winter plan we have been asked to reopen the closed beds at Oldham and Rochdale Children's units for a short period 7th January - March 2008 and to acceptGP admissions direct to the Childrens unit at Fairfield from 7th January. In order to open these beds can you ask all staff for volunteers to either increase thier part time hours on a temporary basis or to work additional hours (37.5hrs) at overtime rate at thier band.We have also approached the nurse bank and nursing agencies to identify staff to work on the identified units."
This is nothing new for this time of the year, the worrying thing is what will happen when they remove these services permanently and move these beds to North Manchester?!
When they won't be able to open beds because they have already filled them with other patients. What will happen to our poorly little ones then?
These virus's are not going to go away every year it gets worse!
Will North Manchester really be able to cope with ALL of Rochdale, Fairfield and Oldham's poorly babies and children needing inpatient care?
I think not!
What will it take to reverse these ridiculous, dangerous proposals?
More Entries By Jean Ashworth
- My reasons to leave. Date posted: 22/11/2011
- Broken Promises ! Date posted: 04/09/2011
- A worrying future. Date posted: 06/06/2011
- Some worrying & frightening facts! Date posted: 17/05/2011
- To harsh and far to severe Date posted: 09/02/2011
- My Report to Council Health Overview & Scrutiny Date posted: 28/01/2011
- A full Circle Date posted: 22/12/2010
- Shocking News, More Closures! Date posted: 22/11/2010
- Thank You Date posted: 09/11/2010
- What Future? Date posted: 08/10/2010
- Reconfiguration to suit WHO? Date posted: 22/09/2010
- Goodbye to an old Friend. Date posted: 06/09/2010
- Hard Hit ! Date posted: 23/08/2010
- Friends of Our Hospital Date posted: 23/07/2010
- Cannabis farm raided in Rochdale Date posted: 14/07/2010
- A&E 6pm-8am Premature Closure! Date posted: 10/07/2010
- Blame the Council! Date posted: 21/06/2010
- Lets get on with it! Date posted: 07/06/2010
- Old friends Date posted: 30/05/2010
- Another election over thank goodness! Date posted: 20/05/2010
- Open and Honest ! Date posted: 04/04/2010
- Run The Race Date posted: 17/03/2010
- Health Trusts Efficiency Drive Date posted: 05/03/2010
- Magic Wand, If only ? Date posted: 19/01/2010
- My Report to Council Date posted: 15/01/2010
- Be Aware! Date posted: 30/12/2009
- Credit were it is due Date posted: 20/12/2009
- A difficult decision Date posted: 17/12/2009
- A Special Event Date posted: 10/12/2009
- End Violence Against Women Campaign Date posted: 22/11/2009