Abdul Chowdry - my own tribute.
Posted By: Susan Emmott
Date Posted: 07/08/2007
I have just returned from my holiday this morning, so if my grammar and typing is a bit wonky I ask for forgiveness as I am still recovering from jet lag after a 10 hours flight from Mexico.
In catching up with the local news this morning, I was deeply saddened to read in my emails of the tragic death of my good friend and colleague Abdul Chowdry. Robin Parker has already given a wonderful and warm tribute in one of his diary entries.
Abdul was one of the very first Asian councillors in Britain, having been elected to the old Rochdale Council in the early 1970ís. I served alongside him when he was a councillor on the current RMBC from 1986 to 1998. His commitment to education, housing, equal opportunities and above all to our twinning links with Sahiwal was exemplary.
Abdul was a highly cultured, intelligent and well read man who served all the residents in his former ward of Smallbridge and Wardleworth to the best of his high capability.
Abdul had a fantastic sense of humour and often had his colleagues in the Labour Group and in the other groups on the Council in fits of laughter. I can scarcely believe we will never hear him again. It is such a great loss for Rochdale.
My deepest sympathies go out to Abdulís family.
We were all enriched by knowing Abdul and I am thankful for having had the pleasure of knowing him and being able to call him my friend.
Rest in peace Abdul, you were one of the best.
More Entries By Susan Emmott
- Caught on Candid Camera! Date posted: 07/02/2008
- Community Participation or William's Warm Words? Date posted: 25/01/2008
- Welcome Jonathan Date posted: 02/12/2007
- Give us our school places! Date posted: 17/11/2007
- I'm still waiting, Wera Date posted: 11/11/2007
- More clarification please Wera Date posted: 07/11/2007
- F.A.O Councillor Wera Hobhouse Date posted: 30/10/2007
- Fortnightly bin collections - I'll move on when you sort it out! Date posted: 07/10/2007
- Heywood Against Landfill Date posted: 19/09/2007
- Uncollected Council Tax Scandal Date posted: 09/09/2007
- More Pennines fortnightly bin collection propaganda road shows ! Date posted: 30/08/2007
- Fortnightly Bin Collections - if you're lucky! Date posted: 16/08/2007
- Thanks Brenda Date posted: 18/07/2007
- Official - Fortnightly Bin Collections are rubbish!!!! Date posted: 16/07/2007
- Recycled Teenagers - the sequel! Date posted: 11/07/2007
- Not just in Heywood - Bamford as well! Date posted: 24/06/2007
- "A goodwill gesture" Date posted: 21/06/2007
- Fortnightly Bin Collection Fiasco Date posted: 13/06/2007
- Chaos, utter chaos! Date posted: 07/06/2007
- The Emperor's New Clothes Date posted: 26/05/2007
- Well, I tried. Date posted: 23/05/2007
- Dear Wera - an open letter Date posted: 22/05/2007
- Fortnightly Bin Collections - Opposition grows Date posted: 21/05/2007
- Update Date posted: 20/05/2007
- Update on diary Date posted: 19/05/2007
- Thank you Date posted: 17/05/2007