Recycled Teenagers - the sequel!
Posted By: Susan Emmott
Date Posted: 11/07/2007
I just felt I had to put pen to paper (or more accurately fingers to keyboard) to say how much I enjoyed the recent councillor diary from my colleague Robin Parker.
Robin asks a very pertinent question. Just how do we perceive older people?
I think for many of us, our perception of older people often comes from the older people we knew best in our lives – our own grandparents. In my case, all my grandparents were born in the first decade of the last century, so they grew up with music hall, black and white films, national service, tea dances and the like. But, today the reality is very different.
Think about the following………..
The 20-year-old Teddy Boy in 1957, dancing to “Rock around the Clock”, with his brothel creepers, drainpipes and drape jacket is now 70 years old.
The 19-year-old Mod Girl in 1963, with her wedge haircut, Mary Quant dress and clinging on to the back of her boyfriend’s scooter is now 63 years old.
Yes, the Teds, the Mods and the Rockers are already drawing their pensions. In the next decade they will be joined by Hippies, Skinheads and Glam Rockers. And yes, not long after that we will have the phenomenon of the Punk Pensioner!
As Robin says, Age Concern classes anyone over 50 to be an old person (so I’m included then!), so in their eyes the 20-year-old with spiky hair, bondage trousers, and safety pins through his nose, pogo-ing to the Sex Pistols in the Punk Summer of ’77 is already an old person.
So, yes, we really do need to think about how we view older people and how services are designed for them. And of course, the best way to do that is to properly consult with them.
More Entries By Susan Emmott
- Caught on Candid Camera! Date posted: 07/02/2008
- Community Participation or William's Warm Words? Date posted: 25/01/2008
- Welcome Jonathan Date posted: 02/12/2007
- Give us our school places! Date posted: 17/11/2007
- I'm still waiting, Wera Date posted: 11/11/2007
- More clarification please Wera Date posted: 07/11/2007
- F.A.O Councillor Wera Hobhouse Date posted: 30/10/2007
- Fortnightly bin collections - I'll move on when you sort it out! Date posted: 07/10/2007
- Heywood Against Landfill Date posted: 19/09/2007
- Uncollected Council Tax Scandal Date posted: 09/09/2007
- More Pennines fortnightly bin collection propaganda road shows ! Date posted: 30/08/2007
- Fortnightly Bin Collections - if you're lucky! Date posted: 16/08/2007
- Abdul Chowdry - my own tribute. Date posted: 07/08/2007
- Thanks Brenda Date posted: 18/07/2007
- Official - Fortnightly Bin Collections are rubbish!!!! Date posted: 16/07/2007
- Not just in Heywood - Bamford as well! Date posted: 24/06/2007
- "A goodwill gesture" Date posted: 21/06/2007
- Fortnightly Bin Collection Fiasco Date posted: 13/06/2007
- Chaos, utter chaos! Date posted: 07/06/2007
- The Emperor's New Clothes Date posted: 26/05/2007
- Well, I tried. Date posted: 23/05/2007
- Dear Wera - an open letter Date posted: 22/05/2007
- Fortnightly Bin Collections - Opposition grows Date posted: 21/05/2007
- Update Date posted: 20/05/2007
- Update on diary Date posted: 19/05/2007
- Thank you Date posted: 17/05/2007