Raiders take Preston by storm
Date published: 07 June 2011
Heywood’s BMX Club the Roch Valley Raiders (RVR) visited Preston BMX Club on Sunday (5 June) to take part in the BMX North Regional Summer Series Event.
The event proved to be a success for the club who are hoping to host their own races in Heywood later this year.
The club has provided the following update of their riders’ progress in Preston:
- Seven-year-olds Olivia Mather and Freyja Leadon enjoyed their race and continue to progress well.
- Luke Smith, 9, came first in his set of novice races in style and is now ready to move to expert category.
- Liam Swales, 9, jumped from the novice category to the experts category with three fifth places and a first place in the B final.
- Taylor Snape, 10, is making good progress in his first year of the expert category. He made the A final.
- Astin Mills, 11, raced for the second time in the novice race age 12 category and even though she fell off twice she still managed to come seventh.
- Sam Mills, 12, came third in his last race in the B final against Kieran Armstead another RVR rider.
- Callum McDonald aged 12 did well in his age category 12 years experts races with 2 X 6th places and 1 X 5th place before gaining a solid 1st in the B final.
Yvonne Mills from the Roch Valley Radiers said: “The masters’ category, riders aged 30 plus, was as exciting as ever, with close racing between RVR riders Craig Mills, Dangerous Adie Mather and Stuart Hanmer.
“The B final saw all three plus James Leadon vying for the club honours, Dangerous Adie had a good start, but managed to let Stuart Hanmer pass him after an incident in the first berm saw him lose ground.
“After that it was game over as none of the other RVR riders could catch Mr Hanmer who went on to finish fifth overall.
“This added club rivalry will bring an exciting 5th Round Regional Race which is being held Sunday 12 June.”
The club are now working closely with Core Industrial Solutions, who will be doing the metal work at the track so that Heywood will be able to host their own races later this year. This will bring BMX riders from across the North West to the area.
Have Your Say