First cup success for Avenue FC in county competition
Date published: 21 March 2022
Heywood based Avenue FC claimed their first cup win in the prestigious Manchester Football Association Sunday Trophy with a 7-1 victory in the final.
The club, a member of the Rochdale, Bury and District Sunday Football League, beat Queens Bredbury, of the Tameside Football League, at Hyde United on Friday evening (18 March).
Connor Gladstone scored Avenue’s first goal after just three minutes, followed by a second from Levi Morris just moments later.
Queens scored their first goal in the 21st minute but Jordan Burton added a third for Avenue at the stroke of half-time to make it 3-1.
In the second half, Tyler Smith scored before two more followed from Burton, who was later named man of the match for his hat-trick. The final goal was scored by Maison Dinsdale with just 10 minutes left to spare.
This is the first time Avenue has won the Manchester Sunday Shield trophy, which also marks the amateur side’s first-ever success in a cup competition after previously placing as runners-up in various league cups.
Posting on Facebook, a representative for Avenue FC said: “To do it in a county competition – and in the style they did – is a benchmark not just for Sunday football, but for the club itself; a great achievement.”
Avenue was established in 2014, set up by Brian Farrell, brother of boxer Kieran Farrell.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Opportunity to view development plans for brownfield site near Rochdale railway station
- 2Reuse Littleborough could be forced to close as council slaps group with thousands of pounds' worth...
- 3The Gallows stars on Come Dine With Me: The Professionals
- 4Rochdale police officer sacked after stalking and harassment convictions
- 5Dozens of fine-dodging drivers face justice after scammers accept hundreds to make penalty points...