Sailing: Hollingworth Lake Sailing Club
Date published: 10 March 2020
Sailing at Hollingworth Lake
Racing at Hollingworth Lake began on Sunday 8 March with seven boats taking to the water.
In the first race, there was a close battle between Nick Hornsby in a Solo, the early leader and Adam McGovern with Ellie Davies in a GP14. Their ability to plane downwind with spinnaker flying gave them the advantage. However, on handicap, it was 14-year-old Daisy Fisher, in a Topper, who sailed well in the breezy conditions to win. 12-year-old Jasper Bramwell, also in a Topper, came in fourth.
Soon after the start of the second race, a violent rain squall came through and two boats decided to retire. This time Adam McGovern and Ellie Davies again beat Nick Hornsby by a few seconds to take the win. Jasper Bramwell persisted in the difficult conditions to take a well-deserved third place.
With the rain passing and the sun breaking through the clouds, Nick Hornsby secured the third race win ahead of Adam Din, in a Laser, as the wind eased somewhat. This time Daisy Fisher was third and Jasper Bramwell fourth. Michael Smith in his new Solo was caught out of balance and capsized, so his new boat is truly launched!
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale people urged to help save lives by supporting COVID-19 research
- 2Plans for a 27-acre solar farm on green belt between Rochdale and Heywood approved
- 3Here’s where you can Eat Out to Help Out: the venues offering the government’s 50% discount deal
- 4The Gallows is under new ownership – and the food is set to be better than ever
- 5Up to £20,000 funding available for local good causes