Pensioner suffers burns after clean washing catches fire
Date published: 18 April 2012
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is asking people to think carefully about the risks of putting itmes in front of heaters and fires after a pensioner suffered burns when clothes drying in front of her gas fire caught light.
The 65-year-old woman had got out of the house, in Oldham, before firefighters arrived but had suffered burns to her face, hands and legs.
She was treated by a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service Trauma Technician - a firefighter with enhanced first aid skills - who dressed her burns and gave her oxygen as she was also suffering from the effects of inhaling smoke.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze with two hose reels. Once the fire was out, they fitted two new smoke alarms for the woman.
The woman was later taken to hospital by ambulance. Her burns are thought to be superficial.
The fire started after clothes drying on a maiden were left too near to a gas fire and damaged the clothes, spreading to the maiden, living room carpet and kitchen of the house.
Area Manager Dave Keelan, Head of GMFRS’ Prevention Services, said: "It's awful this woman suffered burns because of the fire but, thankfully, our highly-trained crews were there quickly to give her first aid and put the fire out.
"We'd ask people to think carefully about what items they put in front of heaters and gas fires in their homes.
"Our firefighters and community safety staff can help people be safer in their homes with the advice, support and information they give while carrying out a Home Safety Check so, if you haven’t had one, think about contacting us for one."
For more information about safety in the home, please visit:
For a free Home Safety Check, which could include the fitting of smoke alarms visit:
Have Your Say