Britain’s ‘most luxurious train’ to pass through Rochdale this weekend
Date published: 17 September 2021
Photo: Channel 5
Famous steam locomotive Princess Elizabeth hauling the Northern Belle over the Settle-Carlisle line. The train will be hauled by a heritage diesel locomotive when it passes through Rochdale.
Trainspotters are in for a treat this weekend when one of the world’s most luxurious trains heads through Rochdale.
The Northern Belle, once part of the iconic Orient Express group, will be travelling from Shropshire to York and Harrogate and will pass through Rochdale on Saturday evening (18 September).
The train is scheduled to pass through Littleborough at 8.13pm, Rochdale East at 8.20pm, Rochdale at 8.21pm and Castleton East at 8.23pm.
A heritage diesel locomotive will haul the seven distinctive umber and cream 1950s-style Pullman carriages, each bearing the name of a great British castle or stately home.
English actor Bill Nighy described the train as “the Grand Duchess of luxury travel” after it featured on Channel 5’s Most Scenic Railway Journeys.
A spokesman has urged rail enthusiasts and photographers to stay safe. He said: “We know that people love to see the train and take pictures, however safety comes first, so please take care and don’t trespass on the track or railway property.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Electricity North West engineer killed in Littleborough crash
- 2Front entrance of Rochdale railway station closed for seven days from Monday
- 3Stunning replica of planet Earth to be unveiled next month in Rochdale
- 4Rochdale to adopt 20mph speed limit on residential roads as councillors back call for safer streets
- 5Milnrow businesswoman appeals for once loved handbags for domestic abuse survivors