Heavy rainfall throughout North West on Thursday
Date published: 27 January 2021
Photo: jittawit.21 - stock.adobe.com
Rain will arrive across North West England on Wednesday evening and turn heavy overnight into Thursday
Heavy rainfall on Thursday (28 January) will likely lead to some minor transport disruption and flooding.
The Met Office has issued a yellow weather alert for rain throughout the North West, including the Rochdale borough and Greater Manchester, which is in place for the entire day.
Rain will arrive across North West England on Wednesday evening and turn heavy overnight into Thursday. During this time 20-30mm is likely to fall quite widely across the area, with as much as 50-60mm possible over the hills. Some of this may fall as snow over the higher parts of the Pennines. Overnight into Friday, the rainfall will become much lighter and more patchy in nature as the rain band pushes southeast.
Earlier this month, the arrival of Storm Christoph brought the wettest January day since 1954 in the borough, as almost half a month’s rainfall fell in just one day.
What to expect
- Flooding of a few homes and businesses is possible
- Bus and train services may be affected with journey times taking longer
- Spray and flooding on roads may make journey times longer
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Concerns raised over Rochdale’s Riverside complex after it emerges the council is liable for rent...
- 2Town centre sites to be transformed as Rochdale looks forward to reopening
- 358mph in a 30 zone - Speed sting catches reckless drivers
- 4Smithy Bridge man to run 48 miles in 48 hours in memory of late younger brother
- 5CCTV footage released after man, 65, threated with gun and hit with hammer in Middleton burglary