Half term help for school lunches
Date published: 23 October 2020
Army of Kindness
Local community group Army of Kindness, in partnership with the Alkhair Foundation, has set up several lunchtime collection points for over the half term week, after the government voted against extending free school meal vouchers for children over the schools holidays until Easter 2021.
The bid was originally raised by footballer Marcus Rashford, who earlier this year campaigned for the government to extend the free schools meals scheme during the summer holidays.
Army of Kindness – and many others – have set up school lunch schemes so that no child will go hungry this half term.
The pre-prepared lunches by Army of Kindness, which expects to make 1,000 meals, will consist of a sandwich, fruit, chocolate, crisps and a drink. Families in need can turn up at the collection points at the given times but must wear a mask and observe the 2m social distancing rule.
The group also runs a weekly food kitchen at Eden House at the former Magistrates’ Court in Rochdale centre each Tuesday between 5pm and 6.30pm. Currently this is collection only due to the pandemic, and the group has seen an increase in demand.
The Army of Kindness lunches are made possible with thanks to Rochdale Borough Council, Rochdale Boroughwide Housing, Aspire to Inspire, and KYP, plus donations and help from individuals and volunteers.
Army of Kindness’ collection points are open Monday 26 October to Friday 30 October between 12 noon and 2pm at:
- 9 Stevenson Square, Smallbridge, OL12 9SA
- Eden House at the former Magistrates’ Court, Rochdale, OL16 1AG
- Freehold Annexe (opposite 271 Olney), Rochdale, OL11 4LQ
- KYP, Belfield Road, Rochdale, OL16 2UP
- Meadowfield Community Centre, Eafield Road, Rochdale, OL16 2TH
Please contact Shiri at Army of Kindness on 07788 314696 for more information.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale town centre Covid testing centre moves
- 2Car park at Rochdale Town Hall to close as restoration gets underway
- 3Council Highways van receives several parking tickets after 'admin error'
- 4Rochdale borough placed into Tier 3 restrictions
- 5Firefighters spend 19 hours tackling blaze at Rochdale industrial unit