Rochdale Festive Market and Christmas lights switch on – all you need to know
Date published: 08 November 2019
This year’s Christmas lights will be switched on in Rochdale on Sunday 24 November
The countdown to Christmas begins in Rochdale this month with a festive market at the town hall, a big Christmas lights switch-on and lots of extra special magical family entertainment on Sunday 24 November. (The event also moves to a Sunday for the first time.)
The Christmas market opens at 1pm, with 30 stalls in the magnificent setting of the Great Hall. Seasonal food and drink will be served in the Christmas Cafe while Wardle Community Brass Band and Rochdale Music Service get you in a festive mood with yuletide favourites!
The Christmas Café will be serving very tasty fare including festive sandwiches, light bites, mixed platters, hot mince pies and other sweet treats as well as mulled wine.
Thousands are expected to attend the popular event that includes a festive indoor market and family activities inside Rochdale Town Hall. Children will be able to create crafty gifts, have their face painted and make some musical sounds with The Melody Hub. They’ll also be able to make a festive keepsake with the team from The Star Tree Studio or learn circus tricks with the experts from Skylight Circus.
From 1pm outside there will also be hot food, more mulled wine and other seasonal drinks, and the town hall will be lit up spectacularly for the occasion.
From 4pm the build up to the lights switch on really begins with live music from Fat Cat Brass – performing classic pop tunes through an afro-latin and Ska filter! A beautiful winter fairy will be bringing a touch of magic to the event, along with ‘Two Calling Birds’ from the Twelve Days of Christmas song, accompanied by lots more street theatre performances providing a sparkling festive treat.
Father Christmas, the Mayor and a host of special guests will officially switch-on the lights at 5pm.
Councillor Janet Emsley, cabinet member for neighbourhoods, community and culture at Rochdale Borough Council said: “This event is always the perfect start to the season. With a local festive market, food and drink, activities for the children and amazing street theatre to entertain the crowds, there will be something for everyone. We’re lighting our stunning town hall in stunning colours for the day too.”
Christmas switch on events are also taking in place in:
- Middleton town centre, Saturday 16 November – 12 noon to 6.30pm organised by Middleton Town Centre Management.
- Heywood town centre, Saturday 23 November – 11am to 6pm, organised by Heywood Business Group.
- Littleborough town centre on Saturday 30 November – 4pm to 6pm.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Facemask advice if you wear glasses or hearing aids
- 2Council leader hits out at plans to build more than 200 homes on a ‘thriving’ business park
- 3Funding secured for two major projects in the Rochdale borough
- 4The Gallows is under new ownership – and the food is set to be better than ever
- 5Plans for a 27-acre solar farm on green belt between Rochdale and Heywood approved