Obituary: Les Barlow
Date published: 24 January 2022
Photo: Norden Cricket Club
Les Barlow, former sports editor of the Rochdale Observer, has died.
During his career as a journalist, Les covered both football and cricket for many decades. He began reporting on Dale matches in 1978, his first match being an away fixture against Port Vale.
In later years, he served various positions with Norden Cricket Club, including writing match reports.
A statement on the Norden Cricket Club website, posted on Sunday 23 January, reads: “On behalf of the committee, players and social members it is with great sadness that we report the passing of Les Barlow (affectionally known as ‘Scoop’) a long-standing stalwart of Norden Cricket Club.
“Les originally became a supporter in his capacity as cricket reporter for the Rochdale Observer and went on to serve as statistician, committee member and more latterly as secretary before stepping down due to ill health.
“His contribution to the success of the club both on and off the field cannot be overstated and he will be sadly missed by his friends and colleagues at the club and in the wider cricketing community.
“Our heartfelt sympathies and condolences to his family and loved ones at this very sad time.”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Opportunity to view development plans for brownfield site near Rochdale railway station
- 2Reuse Littleborough could be forced to close as council slaps group with thousands of pounds' worth...
- 3The Gallows stars on Come Dine With Me: The Professionals
- 4Rochdale police officer sacked after stalking and harassment convictions
- 5Dozens of fine-dodging drivers face justice after scammers accept hundreds to make penalty points...