Obituary: Gerry Unsworth
Date published: 15 September 2021
Former Rochdale Hornets player Gerry Unsworth passed away on the 10th September 2021 aged 86 years.
Gerry had suffered for several years with ill health including Alzheimer’s, for the past few years.
Gerry signed for Rochdale Hornets on 9th November 1955 and made his debut on the wing against New Zealand, he remained at Hornets for all his career.
David Evans who played in the same team as Gerry, held him in high regard as a great friend and playing colleague, he commented that Gerry was a proper gentleman with a great personality, David also commented that Gerry was his wingman and was exceptionally fast and fearless, in David’s opinion Gerry was good enough for county and Great Britain honours.
Norman Short another playing colleague and great friend, reiterated what David had to say, Norman recalls training nights and match days when he, Gerry, Les Jones, Ray Buxton and Maurice Gallagher travelled by taxi from Leigh to Rochdale. The taxi was full of stories and joviality and this is how Norman and David will remember a great friend.
Rochdale Hornets Ex-Players Association
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Opportunity to view development plans for brownfield site near Rochdale railway station
- 2Reuse Littleborough could be forced to close as council slaps group with thousands of pounds' worth...
- 3The Gallows stars on Come Dine With Me: The Professionals
- 4Rochdale police officer sacked after stalking and harassment convictions
- 5Dozens of fine-dodging drivers face justice after scammers accept hundreds to make penalty points...