CBI North West manifesto launched for new PM
Date published: 23 July 2019
National business representor, the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) is urging the new Prime Minister to set a pro-enterprise path for the UK and to change the progress of the UK economy since being stalled by Brexit.
In its Business Manifesto published on Monday (22 July), Carolyn Fairbairn, the CBI’s Director General, has urged the next Prime Minister to act fast to set a clear direction for the UK, build a long-term vision that drives in investment and back business as a foundation of a growing, inclusive economy.
In the north west, the CBI are proposing the government support the following schemes, which they believe are critical for regional growth. These are:
- Commit in full to significant infrastructure projects including HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail
- Ensure that the education system works for young people in the region, closing the growing attainment gap across the region.
- Deliver a clear framework for devolution to ensure that evolves existing deals and provides clarity on future deals.
Carolyn Fairbairn, CBI Director-General, said: “Early signals matter. The new Prime Minister has a real chance to inject a new lease of life into the UK economy.
“He should take a transformative approach to making the country more competitive, innovative and inclusive. We urge the next Prime Minister to act fast to get the economy back on track.
“That means no equivocation on essential national infrastructure, from HS2 to Heathrow. It means an immigration system that is controlled but also open and welcoming. And it means fixing economic policy that isn’t working, from business rates to the apprenticeship levy.
CBI regional Director for the North West, Damian Waters said: “The next Prime Minister must back up his campaign promises and prove to be indisputably pro-business. By backing business, the Government can ensure the North West benefits from enterprise, jobs and growth. We have clear ideas about how to move forward the North West and we hope to create a new partnership of business and government.
“The CBI and the 190,000 firms we represent are committed to a partnership that delivers for communities across the country. We urge the new Prime Minister to work with us.”
The CBI represents approximately 190,000 businesses across the UK.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Magnet fishers discover World War One victory medal
- 2Trio of teenagers clear litter during lockdown
- 3Mother and daughter create fun Science at Home experiments
- 4Optometrist helps to save sight of Rochdale man with emergency appointment
- 5Wetherspoon's social distancing measures for when pubs can reopen